I was just checking the metrics for one of the forums I run and was surprised to see that Facebook was second to Google as the referring site. Given the recent Panda update that Google did that did affect traffic to a large number of sites, the need to diversify traffic sources is important as no one free source of traffic should be relied upon. What we did with that site was set up a facebook fan page and used it to promote new discussion threads on the forum. We also paid for Facebook advertisements that targeted mentions of the keyword of the forum. We were able to target people who used the keyword almost like a laser! The advertisements cost money, but they brought in traffic and was well worth it. Its works a bit like Adwords, in that you can set a budget per day. You can also test it for click thorugh rates.
- How to get traffic to your forum
- Selling advertising space on your forum
- Forum Advertising Software
- Send your forum RSS feed to Twitter
- Optimize the welcome message for the visitor and the search engine
- How to get Twitter followers, so you get forum traffic?
- Forum Directory List
- Using a Paid Forum Posting Service to Kickstart a Forum
- Yahoo! Answers as a Source of Traffic and Members